Early childhood is a critical period of personal growth, and it can be a very fulfilling but also a challenging time for families. Parent Link and Child Mind are available to help parents and caregivers with youngsters. Parent Link delivers child-focused programming and information for families, while Child Mind provides a drop-in childcare service at the Bold Center.
Parent Link is an initiative by Alberta Human Services, with more than 50 Parent Link Centres established throughout the province. Lac La Biche Parent Link is based at the Bold Center, but has recently expanded to include programs in the hamlet of Plamondon and other areas of Lac La Biche County.
Parent Link’s purpose is to support and inform parents and caregivers, while helping young children with their personal development. Up-to-date information on programs can be found on Lac La Biche Parent Link’s Facebook page.
For more details about Parent Link programs, please call (780) 623-6365.
- Crafternoon: Spend the afternoon with your budding artist at the Cenovus Child Mind Centre. A variety of toys and activities are available to suit other preferences.
- Plamondon Family Fun Night: An evening of casual playtime, games and refreshments at Plamondon Festival Centre.
- Tumble Kids: A program designed to help kids develop gross motor skills through fun physical activity. On the first Tuesday of each month, Tumble Kids moves to Portage Pool for water-based activities.
The following programs are free, but you must pre-register to attend. They run in partnership with the Stuart MacPherson Public Library and Alberta Health Services.
- Rattle and Chat: A program for caregivers with infants 0-17 months old. Share ideas, experiences and challenges while connecting with local professionals. Free childcare is available for older siblings.
- Chicka Chicka Book Club: People with toddlers ages 18-35 months old will enjoy this program that combines story time with interactive play.
- Read And Roll: A program for people whose children are three or four years old, which is an important time for pre-school cognitive development. Participants read books and join in activities to explore story concepts.
Triple P: Positive Parenting Program
The Positive Parenting Program provides ideas and teaches strategies for raising children in a positive manner. Lac La Biche Parent Link regularly hosts Triple P seminars and discussion groups for parents and caregivers in the local area. Click here for more information about the program.
Cenovus Child Mind Centre
The Cenovus Child Mind Centre, located inside the Bold Center, provides a safe play space for children. Click here for more information about the centre and its services.
Child Mind - Paid Babysitting
The Child Mind service cares for kids between six months and 12 years old, offering an indoor playground, games, crafts and other activities while parents or guardians use the multiplex's other facilities.
Infant care is available for children between six months and two years old. There are only two infant care spots available per hour. Please call (780) 623-6365 to pre-register.
Child Mind is open from 4-8 p.m. every day, and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Hours are subject to change without notice, and Child Mind is closed on all public holidays.
$5 per half-hour (one hour maximum)
Free Indoor Playground (Parent-Supervised)
The indoor playground in the Cenovus Child Mind Centre is open to the public from 1-4 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and from 2-4 p.m. on Sundays. Kids must be supervised by a responsible person 12 years of age or older at all times.